Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Aug 2005 17:25:16 +0200
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Spousta Jan <JSpousta@CSAS.CZ>
Subject:      Re: Residual correlation graphs
Comments: To: qq.consulting@sympatico.ca

Hi Susan,

Is this what you need?

* Get an example data. GET FILE='C:\Program Files\SPSS\GSS93 subset.sav'.

* Save the output matrix using OMS as a sav file. OMS /SELECT TABLES /IF COMMANDS = ["Factor Analysis"] SUBTYPES = ["Reproduced Correlations"] /DESTINATION FORMAT = SAV OUTFILE = "C:\Program Files\SPSS\pomoc.sav". FACTOR /VARIABLES bigband to rap /ANALYSIS bigband to rap /PRINT REPR EXTRACTION /rot=norot. omsend.

* Purge the file. GET FILE='C:\Program Files\SPSS\pomoc.sav' /drop Command_ Subtype_ Label_ var2. sel if var1 = "Residual". save outf ='C:\Program Files\SPSS\pomoc.sav' /drop var1.

* Transform all variables into one and plot its distribution. GET FILE='C:\Program Files\SPSS\pomoc.sav'. VARSTOCASES /ID = id /MAKE resid FROM all /NULL = DROP. var lab resid "FA Residuals". EXAMINE VARIABLES=resid /PLOT BOXPLOT STEMLEAF.

Greetings

Jan

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Susan Elgie Sent: Monday, August 22, 2005 9:55 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Residual correlation graphs

Hello! I am going to try again with my question, since there were no replies last time. I need to run factor analyses from correlation matrices (quite a few times) and make stem-and-leaf plots of the residual correlations.

I think this might be approached either computationally (e.g. by using the factor coefficients to score the original data and compute correlations and subtract them etc.) or by reading in the residual matrices which appear in the output.

Either approach involves a formidable amount of computing for me; my knowledge of syntax is just the statistical part mostly. If anyone could help me understand how to get started on either of these methods it would be great. Or maybe I've got it all wrong; that would also be good to know.

Many thanks,

Susan Elgie

Susan Elgie QQ Consulting Toronto, Canada

qq.consulting@sympatico.ca selgie@sympatico.ca