Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Aug 2005 16:57:29 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Fehd, Ronald J" <rjf2@CDC.GOV>
Subject:      Re: please help convert text notes to SAS

> From: Nancy Li > > I have a text file with multiple lines, I would like to > convert this text file to SAS and make these multiple lines > notes into one variable. I used the following code, but it > doesn't work as what I expected. Can anybody help me with > this? Thanks! > > data _null_; > length value $2000; > infile 'C:\test.txt' dsd missover lrecl=1500;

you need to match lrecl with pad: lrecl = 1500 pad

> input;

I see another responder suggesting input $;

how about input Value $1500;*your lrecl value;

> retain value; > value = trim(left(value || _infile_));

uh, how long is this text? 1500 or 2000?

you probably meant: value = trim(left(value)) || _infile_;

> put value;

hmmmm, if you are going to accumulate the text you will need two values:

retain AllText '.'; input Text ...; AllText = trim(AllText) !! trim(left(Text));

Ron Fehd the macro maven CDC Atlanta GA USA RJF2 at cdc dot gov