Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Aug 2005 07:01:28 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         NnlGggTuqPvt@SPAMMOTEL.COM
Subject:      MODIFY with BY-groups?
Comments: To: sas-l@uga.edu

I would like to do the following:

data sql.bigtab; retain firstx; modify sql.bigtab; by var1 var2 ... var50; if first.var50 then firstx=x; if last.var50 then do; price=price*2; x=firstx; replace; end; run;

But with MODIFY this is not possible because BY is used with another meaning with MODIFY. Any idea how to solve this? I cannot use "SET" because I'm modifying a SAS/ACCESS table.

Jens Martin Schlatter