Date:         Thu, 1 Sep 2005 09:47:02 -0300
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Hector Maletta <hmaletta@fibertel.com.ar>
Subject:      Re: Decomposing interaction term in Cox Regression
Comments: To: "David M. Fresco" <fresco@kent.edu>

David, I don't understand what your difficulty is, since you say you have a good grasp of interactions in regression. The idea is basically the same. In this case, you have found that the hazard rate for relapse increases with A (at constant B), with B (and constant A) and furthermore these two factors reinforce or potentiate each other as indicated by the significant interaction of both. This increase in hazard for subjects with higher AB product, of course, is supposed to be proportional along time, i.e. to affect all patients at all times. Suppose A=sex and B=smoker, you found that one sex has more risk than the other, smoking also increases the risk, and furthermore, the effect of smoking is dependent on sex and vice versa.

Hector