Date:         Thu, 8 Sep 2005 15:40:36 -0300
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Hector Maletta <hmaletta@fibertel.com.ar>
Subject:      Re: Data Layout
Comments: To: Vassilis Hartzoulakis <hartzoulakis@ath.forthnet.gr>

Since apparently the number of items mrked by each subject is variable, you better choose the Multiple Dichotomies coding system, i.e. open one column or variable for each item (a total of 15 variables), and put 0 or 1 in each depending on the subject having omitted or marked it respectively. You can of course use other codes intead of 0 and 1, but those are quite convenient for many purposes. Items not chosen may remain blank or be marked with 0, and I personally like to code them to zero, also for a number of reasons.

Hector