Date:         Thu, 8 Sep 2005 14:19:33 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Vishal Dave <VishalDave@Affina.com>
Subject:      Re: Combining binary columns into a single column

Margaret,

It would be easier to solve this problem by syntax command but since you want to use menu-based method, I would suggest you to use "Recode" command from the menu. This is what SPSS help says for recoding variable in different variable & also see my suggestion in cap :

From the menus choose:

Transform Recode Into Different Variables...

Select the variables you want to recode (ANY OF TWO BINARY COLUMN VARIABLE). If you select multiple variables, they must be the same type (numeric or string).

Enter an output (new) variable name for each new variable and click Change.

Click Old and New Values and specify how to recode values.(SELECT OLD VALUE AS "ALL OTHER VALUE" AND NEW VALUE AS "1")

Optionally, you can define a subset of cases to recode (IN IF CONDITION WRITE DOWN FIRST COLUM VAR = 0 & SECOND VOLUM VAR = 0).

FOLLOW THE SAME PROCEDURE FOR ALL OTHER CASES.

Hope this helps, Vishal.

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Margaret MacDougall Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2005 1:35 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Combining binary columns into a single column

Dear SPSS users

I would be most grateful if I could obtain advice on an efficient menu-based method within SPSS for coding the pairs forthcoming from two 'binary columns' into a single column after the following fashion:

0,0 -->1 0,1--> 2 1,0-->3 1,1-->4 1,blank-->blank blank,1-->blank blank,blank-->blank

Thank you in advance for your kind assistance.

Best wishes

Margaret

--------------------------------- How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Yahoo! Photos. Get Yahoo! Photos