Date:         Thu, 8 Sep 2005 15:32:08 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Richard Ristow <wrristow@mindspring.com>
Subject:      Re: How to convert SAS codes to SPSS codes
Comments: To: Shakti Sankhla <Shakti.Sankhla@symphonysv.com>

At 09:39 AM 9/1/2005, Shakti Sankhla wrote:

>I have some SAS codes which I need to convert to SPSS. Are there any >tools that could do some conversion to help conversion?

I'm afraid there aren't, and aren't likely to be. The two are complicated languages, and don't have completely equivalent semantics. However,

>If I have to manually convert, are there any process map to guide?

Not really, but there are two main pieces:

A. Data manipulation: SAS DATA steps and PROC SQL, SPSS transformation programs and INPUT PROGRAMs.

Here, MOST of what can be done in one, can be done in the other. Converting from SAS, you'll hit some specific points where SPSS is weaker, or handles things very differently from how SAS does. As examples, by no means exhaustive, . Of course, user-defined formats in SAS become, generally, VALUE LABELS in SPSS . Certain uses of user-defined formats, for example displaying a range of values with the same rendition, require RECODE or similar tools in SPSS . SAS can have arrays whose members are not contiguous, and arrays with more than one dimension. Neither will translate directly to SPSS. . Some uses of PROC SQL, including many-to-many matches, are very difficult to emulate in SPSS.

B. Statistical and reporting code: PROC steps in SAS, procedure statements in SPSS.

Here, there's nothing possible but studying what you're doing in SAS and seeing how to get the same effects in SPSS. At the high end of sophistication, I think that SAS can do analyses that are awkward or impossible in SPSS; at the least, require add-on modules. .............. This is very incomplete, but I hope it can start to guide your thinking. Post again, with specifics of the SAS code you want to convert.