Date:         Thu, 8 Sep 2005 22:14:08 -0700
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Dennis Deck <Dennis_Deck@rmccorp.com>
Subject:      Re: Combining binary columns into a single column
Comments: To: Margaret MacDougall <margmacd@talk21.com>

I'm not a menu user but in syntax one approach would be:

COMPUTE V3 = V1 + V2*2 + 1 .

Where: V1 is first variable (0,1,missing) V2 is second variable (0,1,missing) V3 is new computed variable (1,2,3,4, missing)

If either v1 or v2 are missing, COMPUTE will assign v3 to be missing.

Dennis Deck, PhD dennis_deck@rmccorp.com RMC Research Corporation 503-223-8248x715 voice 522 SW Fifth, Suite 1407 800-788-1887 Portland OR 97204 503-223-8399 fax

-----Original Message----- From: Margaret MacDougall [mailto:margmacd@talk21.com] Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2005 11:35 AM Subject: Combining binary columns into a single column

Dear SPSS users

I would be most grateful if I could obtain advice on an efficient menu-based method within SPSS for coding the pairs forthcoming from two 'binary columns' into a single column after the following fashion:

0,0 -->1 0,1--> 2 1,0-->3 1,1-->4 1,blank-->blank blank,1-->blank blank,blank-->blank

Thank you in advance for your kind assistance.

Best wishes

Margaret

--------------------------------- How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Yahoo! Photos. Get Yahoo! Photos