Date:         Fri, 9 Sep 2005 08:29:11 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Lisa Stickney <Lts1@enter.net>
Subject:      Re: Data Layout

Hi Vassilis,

I agree with Hector. Recently I did something just like this. I asked respondents to select (from a list) which of the following . . . (please select all that apply). When coding each possible item became a dummy variable. What I did when coding was used 1 (if the item was selected) or 0 (if not selected) only if the respondent answered the question. I saved missing values for people who chose not to answer the question at all. As it turned out that became important when I was writing up my results because it allowed me to accurately calculate my repsonse rates without going back through 197 surveys. I hope this helps.

Best, Lisa

P.h.D. Student The Fox School of Business and Management Temple University

----- Original Message ----- From: "Hector Maletta" <hmaletta@fibertel.com.ar> Newsgroups: bit.listserv.spssx-l To: <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2005 2:40 PM Subject: Re: Data Layout