Date:         Fri, 9 Sep 2005 15:13:42 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Amy Thelk <amythelk@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      computing new var along with DO IF

I tried to compute a new variable that separates students who got need- based financial aid from those who didn't, while filtering out from the new variable those students who qualified for a program called "AccessUVa." When I use the following syntax, the AccessUVa folks are filtered out of the first value of the new variable (finother=1) but they are not filtered out of the second (finother =2.

Can anyone let me know how to get better results than I've gotten by using this syntax:

Do If (finalneed gt 0 and AccessUVa=2).

Compute finother=1.

else if (finalneed le 0 and AccessUVa=2).

compute finother=2.

Value label finother 1 'Received need-based aid' 2 'Did not receive need- based aid'.

End if.

Execute.

Thanks.