Date:         Fri, 9 Sep 2005 15:07:50 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Oliver, Richard" <roliver@SPSS.COM>
Subject:      Re: computing new var along with DO IF
Comments: To: Amy Thelk <amythelk@YAHOO.COM>

First of all, all cases will receive some sort of value for the new variable, although for those that meet neither of your criteria, the result will be missing. A small test (with the Value Labels command moved outside the Do If structure, but that shouldn't matter, yields the results I would expect: Cases with any value for AccessUVA other than 2 are assigned sysmis for finother. data list free /finalneed accessUVA. begin data 1 1 -1 1 1 2 -1 2 end data.

Do If (finalneed gt 0 and AccessUVa=2). Compute finother=1. else if (finalneed le 0 and AccessUVa=2). compute finother=2. End if. Value label finother 1 'Received need-based aid' 2 'Did not receive need-based aid'. list.

***result of list command finalneed accessUVA finother

1.00 1.00 . -1.00 1.00 . 1.00 2.00 1.00 -1.00 2.00 2.00 ***.

________________________________

From: SPSSX(r) Discussion on behalf of Amy Thelk Sent: Fri 9/9/2005 2:13 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: computing new var along with DO IF

I tried to compute a new variable that separates students who got need- based financial aid from those who didn't, while filtering out from the new variable those students who qualified for a program called "AccessUVa." When I use the following syntax, the AccessUVa folks are filtered out of the first value of the new variable (finother=1) but they are not filtered out of the second (finother =2.

Can anyone let me know how to get better results than I've gotten by using this syntax:

Do If (finalneed gt 0 and AccessUVa=2).

Compute finother=1.

else if (finalneed le 0 and AccessUVa=2).

compute finother=2.

Value label finother 1 'Received need-based aid' 2 'Did not receive need- based aid'.

End if.

Execute.

Thanks.