Date:         Fri, 9 Sep 2005 15:38:06 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Marks, Jim" <Jim.Marks@lodgenet.com>
Subject:      Re: computing new var along with DO IF

Amy:

Are you trying to filter with the variable finother and getting cases where finother eq 2?

If so, you need to compute a different variable that flags only the cases where finother = 1.

COMPUTE need_UVa2 EQ finalneed > 0 and accessUVa =2.

will do the trick. The variable need_UVa2 will have 1 for cases that meet the condition, and 0 for cases that don't.

(Cases with a missing value in finalneed and/or accessUVa2 will have system-missing for need_UVa2)

"FILTER" excludes cases where the filter variable is missing or equal to zero. All other numbers pass the filter (including decimal and negative values).

--jim

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Amy Thelk Sent: Friday, September 09, 2005 2:14 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: computing new var along with DO IF

I tried to compute a new variable that separates students who got need- based financial aid from those who didn't, while filtering out from the new variable those students who qualified for a program called "AccessUVa." When I use the following syntax, the AccessUVa folks are filtered out of the first value of the new variable (finother=1) but they are not filtered out of the second (finother =2.

Can anyone let me know how to get better results than I've gotten by using this syntax:

Do If (finalneed gt 0 and AccessUVa=2).

Compute finother=1.

else if (finalneed le 0 and AccessUVa=2).

compute finother=2.

Value label finother 1 'Received need-based aid' 2 'Did not receive need- based aid'.

End if.

Execute.

Thanks.