Date:         Fri, 9 Sep 2005 14:00:47 -0700
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Chao Yawo <yawo1964@yahoo.com>
Subject:      Stratified Sampling
Comments: To: SAS-L <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>,
          StataList <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>

Hi,

I am teaching a sophomore social statistics course. I've been covering sampling, especially stratified sampling this week.

The students need some assistance in explaining the weighting procedures associated with disproportionate stratified sampling. How can I demonstrate this in a class with a concrete example.

Also, is there any guidelines as to how to oversample a particular stratum? Assuming i have 2 groups (males are 20% and Females=80%). If I am drawing a sample of 100 students - it means I would end up with 20 males and 80 females. If i need to oversample the males, what values should i chose - 30, 40, 50? - is the choice really arbitrary or is guided by theory or calculations?

I will appreciate your thoughts on this.

Regards, YC

______________________________________________________ Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort. http://store.yahoo.com/redcross-donate3/