Date:         Sat, 10 Sep 2005 00:58:02 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Richard Ristow <wrristow@mindspring.com>
Subject:      Re: multiple regression model
Comments: To: Omar Farook <omarfdawood@yahoo.com>

At 12:11 AM 9/10/2005, Omar Farook wrote:

>I have multiple regression model consist of one dependent and 7 >independent variables. Sample size =12.

By most rules of thumb, that is far, far too small a sample. The lowest I can recall seeing recommended is 5 cases per variable -- sample size of 35, for you.

>My question is, in this case is it correct to expand the sample size >and rerun the same model or I should look for new independent >variables?

CAN you expand the sample size? Where does your data come from?

In the same vein: Where did you get your model in the first place? "Looking for new independent variables" is useless, unless you have some theoretical reason for choosing the new ones.

Could you tell us what your problem is? What's the dependent variable; how did you choose the independent variables; what's the source of your data?