Date:         Sun, 11 Sep 2005 11:02:59 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Art Kendall <Art@DrKendall.org>
Subject:      Re: improving reliability
Comments: To: gokhan kaya <kayagk@yahoo.com.ar>

Were the items designed to measure particular constructs? What are they? How many items did you have for each potential scale? How did you get the items? Did you use pre-existing scales?

starting with all of the items, do a PA2 factor analysis, see if it suggests that the number of factors to extract is about the number that you intended to have scales for.

Be sure that items are reflected as necessary to to assure that a high item score indicates the direction of a high scale score.

Then do reliability with the set of items that are indicated to go together.

Do you have at least 4 and preferably more items on each proposed scale?

Art Art@DrKendall.org Social Research Consultants University Park, MD USA (301) 864-5570