Date:         Sun, 11 Sep 2005 15:00:33 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Art Kendall <Art@DrKendall.org>
Subject:      Re: improving reliability
Comments: To: gokhan kaya <kayagk@yahoo.com.ar>

see interspersed comments

gokhan kaya wrote:

>Thanks a lot > >These itemms were selected as a theoritical reasons > What language were the items administered in? What language were the items originally developed in?

>tehse items under the same theotical concept(actually we discussed > >the method of construction as before ) > >There are seven items in each scale, they show similar behaviżor.. > If they showed similar behavior they would have small to moderate positive iteritem correlations and therefore a high Cronbach's alpha. Or do you intend to say that they are intended to be measures of the same construct?

>Yo are right, but regrading with > >if item deleted values cause number of items as a > Are you sure you are putting the items in the correct sets (i.e., scales)? Did you have splitters in the factor analysis?

> three. Also, I do not know whether number of items > > is larger than 4 or more alpha value is important? > If the items are intended to be measures of the same construct and they behave similarly (as above) then this will be shown as a sufficiently high alpha. Sometimes it is necessary to live with alphas as low as .70 but that should be rare if the scale is well constructed.

We seem to be having a communication problem. Where are you located? It is often easier to overcome language barriers face-to-face. Perhaps someone on this list could meet with you.

Art Art@DrKendall.org Social Research Consultants University Park, MD USA Inside the Washington, DC beltway. (301) 864-5570