Date:         Sun, 11 Sep 2005 21:46:47 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Raynald Levesque <rlevesque@videotron.ca>
Subject:      Re: Bar chart categories

Hector is right,

to see examples refer to files 2 and 3 of http://www.spsstools.net/SampleSyntax.htm#ChartsAndTables

Regards

Raynald Levesque Raynald@spsstools.net Visit my SPSS site: http://www.spsstools.net

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf Of Hector Maletta Sent: September 11, 2005 9:24 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Bar chart categories

One of the ways is, rather surprisingly, through weighting, and is useful also to make rows or columns visible in tables when no case falls into them. The idea is as follows: when no case exists for a certain value, create a fake "case" and give it that value. Then create a weighting variable, say X, with the following values: a very small value (something like 0.000001) for the fake case or cases, and 1 for the rest of cases (i.e. for real cases). If you were using weighting already, the weighting variable will have a very low value for the fake cases, and the original weights for the rest. Then WEIGHT BY X. SPSS will round the low weight to zero, but the category will appear in charts or tables.

Hector