Date:         Tue, 13 Sep 2005 22:37:39 -0600
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Jeff <stat2@jp.pair.com>
Subject:      Re: Is SAS really more powerful than SPSS?

At 05:09 PM 9/13/2005, you wrote: >Dear Listers, >I have read various opinions on the value of both SAS and SPSS and >several seem to reach the conclusion that SAS is more powerful (and >better in many applications) than SPSS. Does anyone use both? Do you >agree? What do you see as the pros and cons of each?

All software programs have pros and cons. SPSS has some fairly powerful options for dealing with output. SAS has the ability to deal more easily with complex data management and can handle a fairly wide variety of analyses. Other programs handle an even wider variety of analyses.

One thing that seems nearly constant, however, is that the people I have run across that make a big deal about loudly proclaiming that one package is clearly more valuable than another are those who consistently use these packages to run things like frequencies and crosstabs.