Date:         Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:00:14 +0200
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Spousta Jan <JSpousta@CSAS.CZ>
Subject:      Re: Is SAS really more powerful than SPSS?
Comments: To: NilsBraakmann@aol.com

Hi Tara and Nils,

in my opinion the UCLA comparison is good, but a bit outdated. SAS has since moved towards user-friendliness (I mean the Guide) and SPSS towards more powerful data management (working with more files at once, greatly enhanced syntax programability using Python scripts). So you should better try the newest versions of both programs.

As for me, I prefer SAS for complex data management tasks with really huge files, and SPSS for the everyday's analytic work with small and moderate files because the work is quicker and more convenient.

Greetings

Jan

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Nils Braakmann Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 10:30 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Is SAS really more powerful than SPSS?

Hi Tara, UCLA Academic Technology Services provides a good comparison between SAS, SPSS and Stata, available at: _http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/spss/faq/compare_packages.htm_ (http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/spss/faq/compare_packages.htm) . Best regards, Nils

Nils Braakmann Lünertorstr. 16 21335 Lüneburg Tel.: 0049 4131 246836 Mobil: 0049 172 4531599 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------------------------- An economist is a trained professional paid to guess wrong about the economy. An econometrician is a trained professional paid to use computers to guess wrong about the economy.

"Econometric theory is like an exquisitely balanced French recipe, spelling out precisely with how many turns to mix the sauce, how many carats of spice to add, and for how many milliseconds to bake the mixture at exactly 474 degrees of temperature. But when the statistical cook turns to raw materials, he finds that hearts of cactus fruit are unavailable, so he substitutes chunks of cantaloupe; where the recipe calls for vernicelli he uses shredded wheat; and he substitutes green garment dye for curry, ping-pong balls for turtle's eggs, and for Chaliougnac vintage 1883, a can of terpentine. " S. Valvanis (1959), Econometrics.