Date:         Thu, 1 Sep 2005 20:42:46 +0100
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Keith Starborn <starborn@statisticsdoc.com>
Subject:      Re: MANOVA vs. Repeated Measures ANOVA
Comments: To: "Yampolskaya, Svetlana" <yampol@fmhi.usf.edu>

Keith Starborn www.statisticsdoc.com

Dear Lana,

Dr. Swanks' suggestion regarding Huberty and Morris (1989) is an excellent one (as is the reference to Tabachnick & Fidellas by Dr. Buchanan). Many journal editors, and an entire generation of graduate students in Education and behavioral sciences, have been socialized to believe that a significant MANOVA is a necessary condition for conducting ANOVAs, that MANOVAs are needed whenever a study has more than one dependent variable in order to guard against inflated alpha levels, and that the need for MANOVA is even greater when the dependent variables are correlated. These assumptions have been disputed most notably by Huberty and Morris (1989) and others.

Having said that, you may or may not glean some interesting insights from asking multivariate questions of your data, along the lines discussed by Huberty and Morris. Do you consider your set of five dependent variables to measure a complex of related school adjustment variables? Are the program activities ones that you would expect to impact on this set of school adjustment variables? Are you perhaps interested in the multivariate structure of the relationships between program actitivities and change in multiple school adjustment indices?

HTH,

KS

-- For personalized and experienced statistical consulting, visit www.statisticsdoc.com