Date:         Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:20:15 -0300
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Hector Maletta <hmaletta@fibertel.com.ar>
Subject:      Re: SPSS v. Access
Comments: To: "Laura Berry, Dr." <LBERRY@northark.edu>

Laura, They are different animals, with definite roles and mutual relationships. You do not have to choose one or the other.

Of course there are some areas of possible overlapping. Simple database management tasks could also be accomplished by SPSS, such as merging files, as there are some simple statistical tasks that can be done by Access, like getting a crosstabulations or an average, but on the whole each software should be used for the kind of task it was intended for. You can prepare a crosstabulation with either package (as you can with Excel too), but do not try Cox Regression on Access. Preparing a flat table or file with a combination of variables taken from several levels of a hierarchical/relational database is better done with Access, though it is awkwardly possible also in SPSS. Looking for individual cases fulfilling certain conditions can be done with SPSS, but it is easier if done with Access.

Hector