Date:         Wed, 14 Sep 2005 16:24:18 +0200
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Boer, CPJ de" <cpj.deboer@vumc.nl>
Subject:      Re: SPSS v. Access
Comments: cc: "Laura Berry, Dr." <LBERRY@northark.edu>

Hello Laura,

The one is a saw and the other a hammer.

We use several different products. We us Blaise to make forms to do the interview with the participants of a survey. The outcome thereof is converted to SPSS to draw conclusions of the gathered data.

We use MSAccess for 'administration' purposes. All the personal data of the particpants are in Access and we us it to keep track of the dataflow, like who has not got a follow up yet and who did or did someone forget to return the CSA-meter etc.

So Access is really a database type product and very suitable for that, SPSS is a product to get the statistics out of the gathered data.

Just my eurocent.

Kees ___________________________________ Ing. C.P.J. de Boer EMGO, VUmc afd. Datamanagement & Systeembeheer BS-7 D-451 (020) 44 49828

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht----- Van: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]Namens Laura Berry, Dr. Verzonden: woensdag 14 september 2005 14:45 Aan: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Onderwerp: SPSS v. Access

Dear Group:

I'm an SPSS user from way back and very happily use it to do almost everything in my office except make the coffee. However, I know next to nothing about Microsoft Access and database queries. Can you offer a summary as to what type of projects and procedures Access (or other database tools) might be useful for versus using SPSS?

I'm asking because some of my new staff members are long-time Access users but know nothing about SPSS. I want them to be trained to use the best tools for the job, but don't know which tools are best, and when they're best.

Thanks, Laura

Laura Berry, Ed.D. Director of Student Success & Institutional Research North Arkansas College (870)391-3280