Date:         Wed, 14 Sep 2005 16:47:01 +0200
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         BERND Roehrig <BERND.Roehrig@med.uni-jena.de>
Subject:      Re: Is SAS really more powerful than SPSS?

Hallo,

I use both statistical packages since more than 7 years. I agree with Jan that SAS is more suitable for complex data management. May be this is the reason that SAS is used as a worldwide standard in clinical trails. Moreover with complex data management and huge statistical calculations SAS is much faster (in my awareness at least 5 fold). On the other hand SPSS has clear advantages as far as graphics and tables were concerned. The possibility of easy and extensive editing of graphics is also a big advantage of SPSS in opposite to SAS.Regarding statistical functions like for example linear regression analyses or survival analyses it depends on the kind of analyses you like to perform. In general my opinion is, that SAS has more options and possibilities.

Kind regards,

Bernd Röhrig

Dr. Bernd Röhrig Klinik für Innere Medizin/Poliklinik Projekt Geriatrische Onkologie Erlanger Allee 101 D-07740 Jena

Tel.: 03641/9324255 E-Mail: Bernd.Roehrig@med.uni-jena.de