Date:         Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:53:53 -0300
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Terry Reardon <Terry.Reardon@cdha.nshealth.ca>
Subject:      Re: SPSS v. Access
Comments: To: LBERRY@northark.edu

Hi Larua:

Without getting too technical Ms Access is a good tool to store vast amounts of data in table format and comes with built in wizards/tools to create forms to get the data into those tables. If its manually data entry. Their are other methods to automate to the entry into the database. A quite and dirty explaination of 1 to Many relationships..... Ms Access has a way to enforce integrity of the data by creating relationships amongst the tables. For example, 1 Director may have Many Staff members. In this case we have a table called Directors with only directors stored in it. and a table called Staff with only staff stored in it. Each director would only be stored once in the director table and is unique. This director can be stored in the Staff table many times denoting the staff associated with that director. Hence a 1 to Many Relationship.

For Using both SPSS and Access database. Note: I have renamed some field names here to hide the some of the structure of my database. But the concept here remains the same..

Maybe you could leverage the skill sets and work with both tools hand in hand.

This example shows how your Skilled Ms Access people would create a query for you to access an Access database to grab some data and push into the SPSS data editor. Then maybe you could use your SPSS skills to do the rest of the magic.

GET DATA /TYPE=ODBC /CONNECT= 'DSN=MS Access Database;DBQ=C:\SomeDataBase.mdb;DriverId=281;FIL=MS Access;MaxBufferSize=2048;PageTimeout=5;' /SQL = " SELECT IIF(IsNull(P.DECEASED), 0, IIF(P.DECEASED= 'N', 0, IIF(P.DECEASED= 'Y', 1))) AS 'Staff Died', " " (( IIF(T.StaffFailed= 'Y', T.DATE_Failed , DATE() ) - T.StaffFailed) / 365 ) AS 'Staff Survival' , " " (( IIF(P.DirectorFailed= 'Y', P.DATE_Failed, DATE() ) - T.DirectorFailed) / 365 ) AS 'Director Survival', " " IIF(IsNull(T.StaffFailed0, IIF(T.StaffFailed= 'N', 0, IIF(T.StaffFailed= 'Y', 1))) AS 'Staff Failed', " " YEAR(T.StaffHired ) AS 'GroupYear', " " FROM STAFF P, Directors T, Class D " " WHERE T.ID = P.ID " " AND T.DirectorID= P.DirectorID " " AND D.ClassID= T.ClassID" " AND P.StaffType IN('2') " " AND T.DirectorsFromHere IN('Y') " " AND D.ClassPeople IN('N') " " AND T.StaffHired BETWEEN #2000-01-01# AND #2005-12-31# " " ORDER BY T.StaffHiredDate ASC " /ASSUMEDSTRWIDTH=255 .

CACHE. EXECUTE.

I hope this helps answers your question and helps with your decision. Cheers,

Terry

************************************************** Terry Reardon, CD, Computer Studies (MIS), Master MOUS,COMPTIA A+ Systems Analyst Multi-Organ Transplant Program Capital District Health Authority Tel: (902) 473-4381 Fax:(902) 473-4423 Work Email: Terry.Reardon@cdha.nshealth.ca Web: http://www.cdha.nshealth.ca Personal Website: http://www.terryreardon.ca **************************************************

>>> "Laura Berry, Dr." <LBERRY@northark.edu> 09/14/05 9:44 am >>>

Dear Group:

I'm an SPSS user from way back and very happily use it to do almost everything in my office except make the coffee. However, I know next to nothing about Microsoft Access and database queries. Can you offer a summary as to what type of projects and procedures Access (or other database tools) might be useful for versus using SPSS?

I'm asking because some of my new staff members are long-time Access users but know nothing about SPSS. I want them to be trained to use the best tools for the job, but don't know which tools are best, and when they're best.

Thanks, Laura

Laura Berry, Ed.D. Director of Student Success & Institutional Research North Arkansas College (870)391-3280

Confidentiality: This email message may contain confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email. Please notify the sender immediately by email if you have received this email by mistake and delete this email from your system. Email transmissions cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept any liability for errors or omissions in the contents of this message that arise as a result of email transmissions. If verification is required please request a hard copy version.