Date:         Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:53:54 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Torzewski, Stuart" <storzewski@spss.com>
Subject:      Re: Graphics Production Language (GPL)

I mentioned yesterday that one can obtain information regarding GPL (Graphics Production Language) in Dr. Wilkinson's new edition of his book, The Grammar of Graphics, as well as in SPSS 14.0 Help documents. Allow me to further describe these two sources of information and clarify their complementary relationship.

On the one hand, Dr. Wilkinson's book, The Grammar of Graphics, provides the theoretical framework and syntax definitions for GPL. On the other hand, SPSS 14.0's documentation focuses on the subset of GPL actually implemented within SPSS 14.0. As a result, SPSS 14.0's documentation is likely to get SPSS users working with GPL or modifying some GPL created by Chart Builder faster than The Grammar of Graphics book would. However, the book would provide advanced users with a greater theoretical understanding of the language, and enable them to use the language more broadly outside of SPSS 14.0.

Sincerely, Stuart Torzewski

Senior Product Manager Product Management SPSS Inc.

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Ralph Grubb Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2005 2:48 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: [BULK] Re: Graphics Production Language (GPL) Importance: Low

Thanks for the information on the Wilkenson book, the Grammar of Graphics. I will order a copy. I think the average SPSS graph user will be in for a major shock, if I understand his paper correctly on his web site. Instead of treating a graphics display as a viewer for underlying data, GPL treats data as an accessory to viewing a graph. GPL is based on the mathematical definition of the graph of a function and uses that definition to organize data linked to the graph. Ralph