Date:         Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:58:41 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Christina Mehta <Christina.Mehta@cancer.org>
Subject:      family-wise error rate in post-hoc tests

Hello all,

First, I would like to thank all of the contributors to this listserv for their helpful advice in solving SPSS problems and patience in explaining things to newcomers such as myself. You are all providing a very valuable service and it is very much appreciated. Second, I have a question regarding the Tamhane's T2 as a post-hoc test in multiple linear regression analysis. Does SPSS automatically set the family-wise error rate at alpha=0.05? My guess is that the family-wise error rate is set at alpha= 0.05 for all of the post-hoc options that are listed but I am having difficulty confirming that when I reviewed the SPSS documentation. Does anyone know the answer and if so is there a reference? Thanks again for all of your help.

Christina

C. Christina Bahn Mehta, M.S.P.H. Research Analyst Behavioral Research Center American Cancer Society 1599 Clifton Road, Northeast Atlanta, Georgia 30329 Phone: (404) 329-7756 Fax: (404) 929-6832 Christina.Mehta@cancer.org