Date:         Wed, 14 Sep 2005 20:49:08 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Raynald Levesque <rlevesque@videotron.ca>
Subject:      Re: SPSS FAQs (was, re: cox regression with data weight)
Comments: cc: Simon Freidin <simonpf@unimelb.edu.au>

Hi Simon

I never heard of a wiki before you mentionned it.

I downloaded the package but I am not sure I could set it up on my ISP. Are you familiar with the installation of a wiki? Could you (or any other list member) boil it down for me? (We could continue this discussion off-list)

Regards

Ray

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf Of Simon Freidin Sent: September 14, 2005 7:38 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: SPSS FAQs (was, re: cox regression with data weight)

Hi

A wiki would be *REALLY* nice.

Simon

At 07:30 AM 15/09/2005, Richard Ristow wrote: >At 04:04 AM 9/13/2005, russell wrote: > >>Your (consistent and detailed) responses to questions pertaining to >>weighting in SPSS etc are really useful and illuminating. In addition, >>there are a few threads on the very same issue on this discussion >>list. Will be nice if they can be bundled into one contribution... > >Which brings up a thought. > >Some questions come up repeatedly on this list, and get answered >repeatedly. I'm sure that some of us are particularly aware, as we >often answer the same or similar questions from time to time ourselves, >perhaps quoting our own old work. Raynald Levesque must have many such >examples, Marta probably a lot; and Hector, Arthur. Probably some of >mine, too. > >It would be work, but useful, to prepare overall essays on some of >these topics, and make them available for reference. > >Where to make them available? Well, if it's OK with Raynald, >www.spsstools.net is the only reasonable choice. There's already a FAQ >section there, but I don't think the topics duplicate what I'm >suggesting. > >I don't generally like the term "FAQ" ("Frequently Asked Questions") >lists, partly because they're often really, "some things I thought of >and decided to write up, but didn't want to organize coherently." But >we can do better if > >A. We select topics that do come up repeatedly. We can't be exhaustive, >but to start with, take any that any one of us has answered multiple >times. After that, anybody who notices another repeating topic can post >saying so, and we'll see if somebody's willing to write it up. (By the >way, if you do notice a repeating theme, please give subject line, >date, and poster for instances of it, so an author won't have to repeat >your search.) > >B. The author of a topical essay (there should be one author) posts the >draft, or successive drafts, for comment. List members aren't ideal to >comment, being mostly too knowledgeable to catch some missing points, >but are a very useful start. > >C. Organizing the essays for reference? Follow the topical outline >that Raynald's used for code examples. It's carefully considered, and >it works, and it spares inquirers from two topical classifications. >Experience will bring out any need for revision. > >How to start? I'm not dropping everything, but I'm thinking of doing >some of my own recurring themes. If a few of us do the same, we'll have >a base to work with.

Research Database Manager and Analyst Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research The University of Melbourne Melbourne VIC 3010 Australia New Tel: (03) 8344 2085 New Fax: (03) 8344 2111 http://www.melbourneinstitute.com/hilda/