Date:         Thu, 15 Sep 2005 12:37:46 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Zdaniuk, Bozena" <BZdaniuk@ucsur.pitt.edu>
Subject:      Missing values analysis

Hello, I am entering the unfamiliar territory so please forgive if my question is na´ve or parts of it incorrect. Question: Is there a way in MVA in spss to have multiple imputation of missing data? In other words, is it possible to run, let's say, a few EM runs with the same predicted and predicting variables in the syntax and get slightly different imputed values on each run? Thanks. Bozena

Bozena Zdaniuk, Ph.D.

University of Pittsburgh

UCSUR, 6th Fl.

121 University Place

Pittsburgh, PA 15260

Ph.: 412-624-5736

Fax: 412-624-4810

email: bozena@pitt.edu

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Martin Sherman Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2005 10:53 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: converting a missing time value into a real time value

Hector: Thanks for the response. I tried using q1=9:00. and got an error message that the : was creating a problem. I will wait to see if anyone else responds. thanks again. martin

>>> "Hector Maletta" <hmaletta@fibertel.com.ar> 09/15/05 10:49 AM >>> If you have only one case in that situation, you can issue the command as follows:

IF (SYSMIS(Q1))q1=9:00.

But you may have other cases with the time missing, and you may not want all of them assigned 9 hours. If it is so, you better allocate the new value based on the relevant case's ID:

If (ID=93869)q1=9:00.

I have not considered possible further complications arising from the fact that your variable is a date variable (in hours). The simple statement q=9:00 may not work, but I don't have time to go into that now.

Hector