Date:         Fri, 16 Sep 2005 10:14:34 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         emaguin@acsu.buffalo.edu
Subject:      Mixed procedure warning

All,

I am just beginning to work with the mixed procedure. My syntax is as follows

MIXED CTSM2 BY TIME GROUPN/FIXED TIME GROUPN GROUPN*TIME/ RANDOM=INTERCEPT | SUBJECT(FAMID) COVTYPE(ID)/ REPEATED=TIME | SUBJECT(FAMID) COVTYPE(CS)/ PRINT DESCRIPTIVES HISTORY SOLUTION G R/ CRITERIA = MXITER(200).

My questions concerns this warning message

Warnings Iteration was terminated but convergence has not been achieved. The MIXED procedure continues despite this warning. Subsequent results produced are based on the last iteration. Validity of the model fit is uncertain.

My question is not about the meaning of the message as my understanding was confirmed by a respondent from the multilevel list. As you can see above, i printed the interation history and it appears that the model converged on step 2 as there are no differences in model parameters between step 1 and 2. My question is why this warning appears AT ALL. Lastly, using the first sentence of the warning as the search string, i find nothing in the spss question database.

Can someone or someone from spss comment on this?

Thanks, Gene Maguin