Date:         Sat, 17 Sep 2005 12:02:35 -1000
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Bob Schacht <bobschacht@INFOMAGIC.NET>
Subject:      Re: Likert scales
Comments: To: "Claus D. Hansen" <ClausHansen@pc.dk>

At 11:34 AM 9/17/2005, Claus D. Hansen wrote: >Dear Bob, > >Sorry, I should of course have emphasized that all the items are scored >the same way.

Claus, Perhaps there's a language problem here. My comment was directed at how the items were *constructed,* not how they were scored.

> >The thing I really need to know is whether Rensis Likert originally >intended the weighting procedure described by Babbie & Mouton or if the >most common form as described first in my earlier mail was his original idea. > >In other words, I do not need help on any substantial issues regarding >scaling (at the moment anyway) I only need to know more about the history >of Likert Scales.

I can't help you with that. Sorry, Bob

Robert M. Schacht, Ph.D., Research Director Pacific Basin Research and Training Center 1268 Young Street, Suite #204 Research Center, University of Hawaii Honolulu, HI 96814 E-mail <schacht@hawaii.edu> Phone 808-592-5904, FAX 808-592-5909