Date:         Mon, 19 Sep 2005 10:17:00 +0200
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Agustin Diaz <adiaz@acziona.com>
Subject:      a little question

Hi listers, how are you?

I have a real problem this Monday (fucks Mondays ;).

I should to do many visual recode. Do you know some script or spss code to do this?

The code should to do something like this.

- Calculate percentiles of one variable "Var1".

- Create a new variable "Var1rec" where the first value is the range (0 to P20), the second (P20 to P40).

I try the code below but I don't know how to pass the percentiles' values to the second instruction.

CTABLES

/VLABELS VARIABLES=var1 DISPLAY=DEFAULT

/TABLE var1 [PTILE 20, PTILE 40, PTILE 60, PTILE 80, PTILE 99].

RECODE var1

( LO THRU PTILE 20=1 )

( LO THRU PTILE 40=2 )

( LO THRU PTILE 60=3 )