Date:         Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:17:24 +0530
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Deepak Jethwani <deepak.jethwani@gmail.com>
Subject:      Clustering Zip Codes

Hi Listers, I am facing the following problem. We have a list of zip codes and a table that lists out the drive time distance from one zip code to the other in the following format. Zip1 Zip2 Zip3 ..... Zip1 0 5 15 Zip2 5 0 12 Zip3 15 12 0 Zip4 Now we need to cluster zip codes which fall within say 10 minutes drive distance from a zip code into one cluster. The attributes of the cluster such as number of establishments etc would be aggregated for each cluster. I have been thinking about the problem and feel that an important aspect is identifying starting points around which we could form clusters on and how to prevent overlap of zip codes between these clusters. Kindly share with me if any one has faced a similar problem or any suggested approaches that come to mind for a possible solution. Best regards Deepak