Date:         Mon, 19 Sep 2005 13:07:59 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         John Painter <painter@email.unc.edu>
Subject:      SAS 9.1 data to SPSS 13.0

Hello,

I have a SAS data file that is migrated into SPSS on a routine basis. There are 809 variables and 1+ million records in the data set.

The problem is I have found two SAS text variables (SAS format$2.) that become numeric variables in SPSS.

Apparently the variable types are changed upon import. To top it off, there is no apparent relationship between the values of the SPSS variables and those same variables in original SAS data. The SPSS values are enumerated sequentially from 0 to 21; the original SAS variables consist of about 60 two digit or two letter abbreviations. The SAS data appear to be correct; the SPSS data are clearly not correct.

Unfortunately, I upgraded to SAS 9.1 and SPSS 13.0 at the same time, so I can't tell with any degree of certainty whether this is a SPSS or SAS glitch.

Nonetheless, any suggestions for how to fix this?

Thanks, John Painter

John S. Painter, Ph.D.

Jordan Institute for Families School of Social Work University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

p: 919 962-6517 e: painter@email.unc.edu w: www.unc.edu/~painter