Date:         Mon, 19 Sep 2005 13:46:43 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Paul Egli <paul.egli@tns-global.com>
Subject:      Transforming vector data into matrix format

Hello all,

I have a fairly complex (at least I think it is complex anyway) data transformation procedure I am trying to run in SPSS. I have a data set of 10 variables where each vector represents the ranking of those concepts by one individual. To be specific the data looks like this:

ID v1 v2 v3 v4 v5 v6 v7 v8 v9 v10 1 2 3 7 8 10 1 4 5 6 9 2 10 2 1 3 4 5 6 7 9 8 3 9 6 4 2 1 3 5 7 10 8 . . . 1000 2 4 8 10 9 3 5 7 1 6

What I would like to do is to create some syntax or a macro that will change this data into a matrix where everything in columns above the diagonal is the number of times each concept was ranked higher than the corresponding row concept and everything in columns below the diagonal is the number of times each concept was ranked lower than the row concept. The diagonals themselves will be equal to N/2 but right now I am more concerned with the off diagonals.

I believe this can be done with the matrix language but in all my years of dealing with SPSS I haven't had the "pleasure" of working with any matrix commands and the help text is a misnomer in this regard. I'm sure there are macros that could do this as well but I haven't found anything on Raynard's page or other links that have been very useful as references.

If anyone has any ideas how this can be done or knows of a reference I can check into I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, I believe this is the first step in converting the rank data in interval scaled data via a Thurstone Case V transformation... if anyone has any code to do this that would even be more helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Paul