Date:         Mon, 19 Sep 2005 22:32:46 -0600
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Jeff <stat2@jp.pair.com>
Subject:      syntax or macro to remove variables

I'm working with a fairly large data set and need to reduce the file size by removing a number of variables where the values for all records are system missing (these represent survey questions that weren't asked during the particular year of the survey I'm using). In the past, I've used the following syntax to remove a single known variable, but how would I write either simple syntax or a macro that would check each variable in the data and delete all that contained no data?

MATCH FILES FILE=*/DROP not_needed_var.

Thanks

Jeff