Date:         Tue, 20 Sep 2005 17:15:58 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Swank, Paul R" <Paul.R.Swank@uth.tmc.edu>
Subject:      Re: sample size for cluster analysis
Comments: To: Chiao-Wen Hsiao <chsiao@usuhs.mil>

One issue is the degree of correlation among the variables. Typical distance measures assume uncorrealted variables as do many of the hierarchical criteria for determining the number of clusters. You may be better off with fewer variables if they are uncorrelated.

Paul R. Swank, Ph.D. Professor, Developmental Pediatrics Director of Research, Center for Improving the Readiness of Children for Learning and Education (C.I.R.C.L.E.) Medical School UT Health Science Center at Houston

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Chiao-Wen Hsiao Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 2:02 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: sample size for cluster analysis

Hi all,

I am running a cluster analysis with 20 variables in a sample of 100 participants. Is the sample size too small? Should I try to reduce the number of variables? This is my first time running cluster analysis. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

Joyce