Date:         Wed, 21 Sep 2005 19:57:31 +0530
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Deepak Jethwani <deepak.jethwani@gmail.com>
Subject:      Re: 2nd Attempt: Grouping Zip Codes
Comments: To: Spousta Jan <JSpousta@csas.cz>

Hi Spousta, Thanx for your thoughts. My appologies for not explaining this in a better fashion. An optimal partitioning in our case would be minimal number of groups of these zip codes which should be ideally mutually exclusive. I am not very sure I completely understand your heuristic algorithm approach. How exactly does one go about programming the same (Can it be done in SPSS ?) Best regards Deepak

On 9/21/05, Spousta Jan <JSpousta@csas.cz> wrote: > > Hi Deepak, > > Only a few thoughts: > > 1) Your problem is not specified enough - there can be a plenty of > possible solutions - you should say what you consider to be an optimal > partitioning of the ZIP codes. E.g. "the minimal number of clusters, and > - if still many solutions possible - the minimal sum of diameters of > clusters" > > 2) But I suspect that (at least for many reasonable specifications of > the task) the problem will be extremely hard to solve exactly (many > similar problems are proved to be NP-complete). So you will probably > seek a quick and dirty heuristic algorithm. > > 3) The question is then, whether SPSS is just the best tool to create > such algorithm - another possibility is to use a general programming > language. It can be better suited to go through the data in logically > complicated ways. (SPSS and similar tools use the top-to-bottom way > automatically - they just read/write all cases in one step...) > > Greetings > > Jan > > -----Original Message----- > From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of > Deepak Jethwani > Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 3:20 PM > To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > Subject: 2nd Attempt: Grouping Zip Codes > > Hi Listers, > This is my second mail to the list. I am still struggling with the > following issue. > We have a list of zip codes and a table that lists out the drive time > distance from one zip code to the other in the following format. > > Zip1 Zip2 Zip3 ..... > Zip1 0 5 15 > Zip2 5 0 12 > Zip3 15 12 0 > Zip4 > > > > Now, we need to group the zip codes which fall within 10 minutes of > drive time distance from a zip code into a group. > The problem is actually about identifying starting zip codes around > which to build these groupings. > > I would really welcome any comments from anyone who has faced a similar > problem or any suggested approaches that come to mind for a possible > solution or any suggested texts which I can use to tackle this problem. > > Best regards > Deepak Jethwani >