Date:         Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:00:41 -0700
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Kim Jinnett <kjinnett@ibiweb.org>
Subject:      Re: syntax for creating new var

Dear listers,

I'm trying to create a set of 8 dummy variables from one variable that was coded with values 1 to 8. I'm having trouble dealing with the missing values appropriately. If the original variable "intgtype" has a missing value, I want the new variable to have a missing value as well. Where do I insert the missing value statement and what should it look like? I'm sure there is a much more efficient way to write the code below as well.

Thanks, Kim

COMPUTE wstdltd=0. COMPUTE awstdltd=0. COMPUTE stdltd=0. COMPUTE astdltd=0. COMPUTE whstdltd=0. COMPUTE awhstltd=0. COMPUTE hstdltd=0. COMPUTE ahstdltd=0.

IF intgtype=3 wstdltd=1. if intgtype=4 awstdltd=1. if intgtype=1 stdltd=1. if intgtype=2 astdltd=1. if intgtype=7 whstdltd=1. if intgtype=8 awhstltd=1. if intgtype=5 hstdltd=1. if intgtype=6 ahstdltd=1.