Date:         Thu, 22 Sep 2005 09:15:29 -0600
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Adrian Musters <Adrian.Musters@nurs.utah.edu>
Subject:      Standard Error

Hi everyone,

I did a one-way ANOVA in SPSS 13 with a Tukey HSD Post-Hoc test. In the output I noticed that the Standard Error in the Multiple Comparisons table was 17.30069 for each and every comparison. I am comparing the amount of foraging in 4 different types of grass, each with 5 observations. My understanding is that the Standard Error is calculated by dividing the Standard Deviation by the square root of the number of observations - SD/sqrt(N)

Is the standard deviaiton that is used the standard deviation of the whole group (N=20)? Mine is 37.44094 . So I'm wondering about the calculation. 37.44094 / sqrt (5) = 16.7440974. Am I wrong about the calculation for the SE? If not, is there anyone who is able to explain the discrepancy of .55 in the two SEs?

Thanks in advance, Adrian