Date:         Fri, 23 Sep 2005 15:07:15 -0300
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Hector Maletta <hmaletta@fibertel.com.ar>
Subject:      Re: Fractional weights - does SPSS round off?
Comments: To: David Chapman <chapmandw@GMAIL.COM>

SPSS does not round off the weights, but it rounds off the resulting FREQUENCIES. If the weighted number of cases is not an integer, it is rounded to the nearest integer. Instead, if the weighted total of some variable (e.g. total number of children for all women in the sample) has decimals, then the total is reported with the decimals. Sometimes these decimals make sense (total income, for instance) sometimes they do not (as in total children). However, both cases and totals, as well as averages and other measures, can be DISPLAYED without the decimals, even if internally SPSS keeps those figures with the full complement of decimal places.

As said before, the fractional weights are used without rounding. Each case is multiplied by its weight before entering it into a computation. This may cause distortion only for SMALL weights. When the integer part of the weights is large relative to the decimals (weights, for instance, like 150.45 or more), rounding the decimal part is not very important. Instead, when weights are small numbers, where the integer part is small relative to the decimals (weights like 0.80 or 1.45), the rounding can cause considerable distorsion. For instance, one case weighing 150.45 will be counted as 150 cases, and another weighting 80.45 will be counted as 80 cases, whereas two case weighting 1.45 and 0.80 would be counted as 1 case each, thus defeating the purpose of giving one of them more weight than the other.

Weights are likely to be small when they are simply PROPORTIONAL weights, preserving the sample size but correcting for instance the proportions of age groups or genders. When weights are also SCALE weights (expanding the sample to population size) they are likely to be large figures, where the decimal part is relatively irrelevant.

Hector