Date:         Fri, 23 Sep 2005 20:34:37 -0300
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Hector Maletta <hmaletta@fibertel.com.ar>
Subject:      Re: Temporary Select If
Comments: To: Bob Schacht <schacht@hawaii.edu>

You in fact applied no filter. You selected some cases, leaving the rest out, which is --yes-- a kind of filtering operation, but is not the application of the SPSS FILTER command. The difference is moot, so do not worry as long as the undesired cases are not considered in the crosstabulation. You may also achieve the same goal by defining a filter variable and using it with FILTER, as follows:

COMPUTE FILTER_1 = ((V172 = '1' OR V172 = '3' OR V172 = '4' OR V172 = '7') AND HrlyWage>=6.25 AND V1 = '26'). FILTER BY FILTER_1. CROSSTABS /TABLES=V1 BY V244 /FORMAT= AVALUE TABLES /CELLS= COUNT /COUNT ROUND CELL . FILTER OFF. The downside of this is that you get stuck with the FILTER_1 variable in your working file, which does not occurs with TEMPORARY (any scratch variable created under TEMPORARY, of which you have none by the way, disappears at the end of the next procedure). However, this downside is not severe: simply get rid of the FILTER_1 variable when you do not need it anymore. Having it in the file, besides, can be an upside if you are likely to use the same filter several times.

Hector