Date:         Fri, 23 Sep 2005 20:14:45 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Stephen Salbod <ssalbod@pace.edu>
Subject:      GLM Repeated with Categorical Covariates

A Friday question: I want to us ethnicity (4 levels) as a covariate in an ANCOVA procedure. I think the code is correct, but since I've never worked with a set, as covariate, I'm a little concerned. The Syntax Guide had little to say on this issue (see GLM: Repeated Measures, 726-734).

COMPUTE Ethnic1 = 0.

COMPUTE Ethnic2 = 0.

COMPUTE Ethnic3 = 0.

DO IF (Ethnic EQ 1).

- COMPUTE Ethnic1 = 1.

ELSE IF (Ethnic EQ 2).

- COMPUTE Ethnic2 = 1.

ELSE IF (Ethnic EQ 3).

- COMPUTE Ethnic3 = 1.

END IF.

GLM

pretest posttest BY group WITH ethnic1 ethnic2 ethnic3

/WSFACTOR = time 2

/METHOD = SSTYPE(3)

/EMMEANS = TABLES(group*time) WITH(ethnic1=MEAN ethnic2=MEAN ethnic3=MEAN)

/CRITERIA = ALPHA(.05)

/WSDESIGN = time

/DESIGN = ethnic1 ethnic2 ethnic3 group .

Any suggestions will be most welcome.

TIA.

Stephen Salbod, Pace University, NYC