Date:         Sun, 25 Sep 2005 12:51:30 +0200
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Marta García-Granero
              <biostatistics@terra.es>
Subject:      Re: Standard Error of an F-statistic

Hi Bozena,

I think you have a slightly wrong idea of what a standard error is used for. We can talk about the standard error of a certain statistic (used like estimators of the corresponding parameters in their populations of origin), like the mean, a difference of means (like in the case I answered before), a percentage, a difference in percentages, an Odds Ratio, a Relative Risk... They reflect the precision of your measure, and are used both for testing and computing confidence intervals. You don't normally talk about standard error of a F, Chi-square, Student's t statistic... they are used just to obtain the p-value for a given test.

What do you mean by the standard error of the F-statistic for interaction?. This F-value is used to obtain a test p-value, only for that.

ZB> Close to the topic, can someone tell me the formula for the ZB> standard error for the F-statistic for interaction? I ran a RM ZB> Ancova using GLM and I am not sure how to calculate the standard ZB> error for the F-value based on my output.

HTH

Marta