Date:         Sun, 25 Sep 2005 12:57:22 +0200
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Marta García-Granero
              <biostatistics@terra.es>
Subject:      Re: HOV assumption in ANOVA (was Re: SPSS Contacts-Juan]

Hi Colleen,

CCS> I would like to determine whether a variable has significant group CCS> differences (among 4 groups). The variable does not meet the assumption CCS> of homogeneity of variance.

Use a robust test like Welch or Brown-Forsythe, followed by a post-hoc like Tamhane's T2 test.

CCS> I was told that there can be adjustments CCS> made so the variable meets this assumption. Would anyone know how this CCS> adjustment can be made on SPSS?

The adjustment depends on the nature of the variable and the cause of the lack of HOV. Sometimes, a log transformation could work, sometimes not. I think it's better to use robust tests thatn start playing with your data

Regards, Marta mailto:biostatistics@terra.es