Date:         Sun, 25 Sep 2005 08:11:39 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Frank J. Gallo" <fjgallo@verizon.net>
Subject:      Discriminant Analysis

Hi All,

I am looking for some help with running a discriminant analysis. My question is "given an individual's set of scores on four measures (IV's) can one predict which group (four groups) he or she comes from? I am defining four groups by their scores on two variables (e.g., x and y). Group 1 values x>3, y>3; Group 2 x>3, y<3; Group 3 x<3, y<3; and Group 4 x<3, y>3. I am green at using and running DFAs. I am using SPSS 10.1. I looked at the point and click interface, but my visual impression is that I cannot use the point and click approach to accomplish my goal (e.g., it allows only one grouping variable). Can anyone make some suggestions and provide some sample syntax for this problem. I greatly appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Best,

Frank