Date:         Mon, 26 Sep 2005 09:57:51 +0100
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Allan Reese AFH CEFAS <r.a.reese@cefas.co.uk>
Subject:      TEMPORARY & SELECT IF etc ( SPSSX-L Digest - 22 Sep 2005 to 23
              Sep 2005 (#2005-259))

Hector Maletta wrote: >You in fact applied no filter. You selected some cases, leaving the rest >out, which is --yes-- a kind of filtering operation, but is not the >application of the SPSS FILTER command. The difference is moot, ...

Bob Schacht <schacht@hawaii.edu> commented I was confused because sometimes it seemed to me that when I do a "select if" using the menu system, SPSS chooses to make a scratch variable to define a filter, which it then adds to my list of variables, but this time it didn't do that. Under what conditions will a "Select if" generate a scratch filter, when using the menu system?

It seems to me that SPSS menus "make a meal" of selecting cases, and it is an area where any regular SPSS user can save time and effort by typing in a syntax window. But the answer to Bob's original question, of noting when case selection has taken place, is to switch-on the option to copy commands into the output file as well as the journal. See Edit/Options/Viewer and check "see commands in the log". This also gives an opportunity to insert your own comments in the output at the time.

The only pitfall of this approach is you have to be sure to highlight the TEMPORARY command, but a careful user will not overwrite the data file after transformations but will create a new version. Human-written syntax tends to be more succinct, eg:

* Analysis of selected V172 types. TEMPORARY. SELECT IF ANY(V172, '1','3','4','7') AND HrlyWage>=6.25 AND V1 = '26'. CROSSTABS /TABLES=V1 BY V244 /FORMAT= AVALUE TABLES /CELLS=COUNT /COUNT ROUND CELL .

Allan

*********************************************************************************** This email and any attachments are intended for the named recipient only. Its unauthorised use, distribution, disclosure, storage or copying is not permitted. If you have received it in error, please destroy all copies and notify the sender. In messages of a non-business nature, the views and opinions expressed are the author's own and do not necessarily reflect those of the organisation from which it is sent. All emails may be subject to monitoring. ***********************************************************************************