Date:         Mon, 26 Sep 2005 07:24:26 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Peck, Jon" <peck@spss.com>
Subject:      Re: Temporary Select If
Comments: To: Bob Schacht <schacht@hawaii.edu>

Note that SPSS users several different commands depending on what you choose in the Select Cases dialog even within the nondestructive selection. Sometimes it is FILTER and sometimes USE. The Compute to generate the filter variable also has several different forms.

When SPSS creates a filter variable, the defining condition becomes the variable label. You also get a hint that you are filtering through the status bar "Filter on" entry in the Data Editor window, although it won't show if the window is too narrow. And, of course, you get slashed out case numbers in the Data Editor.

(It's an article of faith around here that no one ever looks at the status bar, but we keep trying.)

Regards, Jon Peck

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Bob Schacht Sent: Friday, September 23, 2005 7:54 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: [SPSSX-L] Temporary Select If

At 01:34 PM 9/23/2005, Hector Maletta wrote: >You in fact applied no filter. You selected some cases, leaving the rest >out, which is --yes-- a kind of filtering operation, but is not the >application of the SPSS FILTER command. The difference is moot, so do not >worry as long as the undesired cases are not considered in the >crosstabulation. >You may also achieve the same goal by defining a filter variable and using >it with FILTER, as follows:

Thank you; this is a good suggestion. I was confused because sometimes it seemed to me that when I do a "select if" using the menu system, SPSS chooses to make a scratch variable to define a filter, which it then adds to my list of variables, but this time it didn't do that. Under what conditions will a "Select if" generate a scratch filter, when using the menu system?

Thanks, Bob