Date:         Mon, 26 Sep 2005 12:26:43 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Kathryn Gardner <KJGARDNER10@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      SPSS error message

Hi all,

I have received the following error message when running the "explore" procedure:

>Error # 701 in column 12. Text: PAIRWISE >An undefined variable name, or a scratch or system variable was specified >in a variable list which accepts only standard variables. Check spelling >and verify the existence of this variable. >This command not executed.

I found a post on here from 1998 which had the same problem and someone had advised the following: "Try using /MISSING=PAIRWISE instead of /MISSING PAIRWISE. The error message you are getting means that SPSS is trying to find a variable name "pairwise" rather than recognizing pairwise as a keyword on a command".

I am assuming the advice above can only be done using the syntax editor, which i'm not using. Does anyone know how to resolve the issue??? I'd really appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Kathryn