Date:         Mon, 26 Sep 2005 11:12:26 -1000
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Bob Schacht <schacht@hawaii.edu>
Subject:      Re: Temporary Select If

At 02:24 AM 9/26/2005, Peck, Jon wrote: >Note that SPSS users several different commands depending on what you >choose in the Select Cases dialog even within the nondestructive >selection. Sometimes it is FILTER and sometimes USE. The Compute to >generate the filter variable also has several different forms. > >When SPSS creates a filter variable, the defining condition becomes the >variable label. You also get a hint that you are filtering through the >status bar "Filter on" entry in the Data Editor window, although it won't >show if the window is too narrow. And, of course, you get slashed out >case numbers in the Data Editor. > >(It's an article of faith around here that no one ever looks at the status >bar, but we keep trying.)

Thanks to Jon, Hector, Allan and others for the info. * With Temporary + Select If, I discovered that I can do a number of crosstabs all in one "run" by specifying a series of "Table" specifications within one "Crosstab" command. * I appreciate the reminder about the "FILTER" command; it actually serves my needs best, as the filter variable serves multiple purposes. * I appreciate the information about the "USE" command. I'll have to familiar myself with its usage. * Thanks for reminding me about the status bar <g> Bob