Date:         Mon, 26 Sep 2005 17:02:15 -0700
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Seumas P. Rogan" <sprogan@email.arizona.edu>
Subject:      How to compare survey data to census

Hi all,

I want to compare the distribution of certain variables from my survey sample with census data for the same population, but I'm not sure which test to use. I have, for example, a 4-row by 2-column table where one column represents counts from the census, the second column represents counts from my sample. The four rows represent counts in 4 categories of household size. In the following example, I get a Pearson Chi^2 of 8.013, df=3, p=0.046, though the maximum difference in any cell between the census and my survey for each size category is 1.1%.

DATA LIST /SOURCE 1 SIZECAT 3 COUNT 5-10. BEGIN DATA 1 1 38857 1 2 64551 1 3 76809 1 4 4891 2 1 328 2 2 546 2 3 627 2 4 23 END DATA. FORMATS SOURCE SIZECAT COUNT (F6). VALUE LABELS SOURCE 1 "CENSUS" 2 "SURVEY". WEIGHT BY COUNT. CROSSTABS /TABLES=SIZECAT BY SOURCE /FORMAT= AVALUE TABLES /STATISTIC=CHISQ /CELLS= COUNT COLUMN /COUNT ROUND CELL .

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice here? Are there any heuristics or guidance regarding how to compare surveys with 'truth' and how different distributions must be to be 'different'?

Thanks for any help!

SR

sprogan@email.arizona.edu